Songs are Super Sexist!

I listen to a wide variety of music, but I have found that the music I mainly listen to is rap or R&B.
I listen to this music not for the lyrics, but mainly for the beat of the music. For this blog, I decided to listen closely to some of these lyrics.

Results varied.

The song Love by Dean (feat. Syd) is very nice. Listen to the song here:

Say you want to take it slow
When you’re ready let me know
I know somewhere we can go to unwind

Leave your troubles in the past
And give love another chance
You got questions, I got answers tonight

I got intentions baby
But, I’m gettin’ restless babe
I need your blessing, baby
I’ll love you if you let me baby

These lyrics are pretty nice and poetic, not degrading women at all.

However, one of my favorite songs, Cabaret by Aziz Gibson is not so pure. Listen here:

Baby you and I should
Honey we should chill sometime
Baby you and I should
Baby we should chill sometime
Everything that I do
I do with you on my mind
Babygirl I got you
God damn you so fine
Baby you and I should(x2)
Maybe we can chill sometime
Everything that I do
Babygirl I got you
God damn you so fine

These are the cleanest lyrics in the song. It is not really that great for women's images.

Listening to these songs may make you believe some of the stuff that they are staying subconsciously, so you should be wary of the music/media you consume because you definitely internalize the messages they are sending. And now that young kids have almost unlimited access to these types of things, it is really dangerous because they internalize a lot of messages the media presents to them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation

When Will My Reflection Show Who I Am Inside?

OMG He Uses Nivea Lip Balm!