When Will My Reflection Show Who I Am Inside?

Ever since I have learned about the sheer number of advertisements that a teen is exposed to in a day, I have been much more conscious about how many/how much media I consume. It's an extremely high number. A bunch of apps have advertisements, television has a lot of advertisements, and there are so many other subtle forms of advertisements (like stickers and cups).
If I am being entirely honest, I have not really changed how much I interact with media. I still use the apps that I used before, that hasn't changed. But I have noticed that I am more aware of what I am consuming. I've always known that things are not as they seem (the one thing I remember my grandfather telling me is that advertisements are all lies), so that has always been there, but now I understand why/how. I used to know that something is happening, but now I specifically know more what is happening. I do notice that I look at advertisements a bit longer and pick them apart, look at the music playing, the colors they use, or the people in the advertisement.
Also with news media, stuff that I see on Instagram, or stuff like Snapchat news, I am much warier than I was before. I am now almost constantly reminded that the news can be so easily twisted into something bad or incorrect. How news can be made into something else entirely. I now take things with a bigger grain of salt.
I think it is extremely important to have media literacy so that you do not fall into traps that are so easily disguised. The same thing with being an educated consumer. It is just so that you can navigate the world and see that things are really just a product. A phone is just a phone. A drink is just a drink. A store is just a store. These things are not any intangible emotions/things. They will not provide you happiness, friendship, or love. It is just a store. It is a falsity that just makes you want to buy more things that you do not need.
Also, it is important to see that the media does not correctly portray people. It is important to realize that there is much more stuff out there than what you see in the media. There is so much more than the limited representation they portray.
These media blogs have helped me dive deeper into these problems that I knew already existed. It helped me understand more thoroughly the problems/things that help dictate our society. It has also helped me come to terms with my shortcomings. I am addicted to media. I love those silly slime videos and the paint mixing videos on Instagram. I love sending my friends silly pictures on Snapchat. I love seeing people's thoughts about things on Twitter. I love watching makeup tutorials on Youtube. Even though I know that some things are out to get me, I still consume them.
What does that say about this generation?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation

OMG He Uses Nivea Lip Balm!