Gorgeous, but What Does This Have to Do with Anything?

I'll have to admit, one of my favorite commercials in the world is one for the iPhone X. It's the one where it is showing different parts of the phone while beautiful colors dance around the screen. Usually, I do not hear it with music because the advertisements are usually muted when they come on, but while I was searching online for the ad I heard the music in the background. It is a very upbeat song by Sofi Tukker called 'It's Here: Colors'. The only lyrics that they include are 'Every time you call on me, I drop what I do. You are my best friend and we have got some things to do.' These are some very specially picked lyrics. They are made to make the phone into more of a person like thing rather than an object. It is kind of like the phone is talking to you. You are the phone's best friend. You can call on the phone and it will always be there and reliable, hence the lyrics 'I drop what I do'.
This advertisement appeals to the Need for Aesthetic Sensation and the Need for Affiliation. First of all, the aesthetic sensation is extremely prominent in this advertisement. The whole visual for the ad is showing off the phone and the colors on the phone. There are so many colors, and they're so vibrant. There's also the Affiliation. They kind of imply that the phone is your best friend, so when you buy this phone you are not just getting a phone, but you are getting a best friend. Also, I think that everyone who has an iPhone is advertising for the product. All of the popular kids at school have iPhones. It shows off wealth that you have, where you can afford an iPhone. That's another version of a need for affiliation, to fit in and be popular. But, logically, the iPhone is just an extremely overpriced piece of technology that has a big name.

Comments

  1. I have to agree with you about this being one of my favorite ads, it is extremely aesthetically pleasing, and I enjoy looking at it. What I find interesting about the ad, is that it doesn't make me want to buy the iPhone X any more than any other phone. I think this advertising technique is Good at getting people's attentions, but not to appeal the product to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally agree with you on how pleasing it is to watch this commercial, it provides so many great aesthetic sensations that make the viewer happy. Also, the song was well picked because like you said, it makes the phone a person, and in specific, your best friend. Apple wants consumers to make this phone their best friend and considering how much it costs, anyone who gets it will probably take really good care of it. Apple really did a good job with this ad, because it immediately catches the attention of viewers and puts them in a mood where they think that buying the phone will give them a friend and also soothe their need for aesthetics as well as affiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Apple does an excellent job with their advertising. They manage to make millions of people across America want to buy the phone, not because the product is better than others (most of the time people don’t truly know), but because we feel a connection with it and the company. The phone has been portrayed to us as if it were our “best friend”, so we feel like we must protect it and never betray it. Although I do recognize that the phone does not have any real feelings, I still fall into the trap of feeling connected with my phone on a personal level, which is the direct affect of Apple’s commercials.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation

When Will My Reflection Show Who I Am Inside?

OMG He Uses Nivea Lip Balm!