Getting Closer to My Favourite Kpop Idol???

I was at a grocery store with a friend, and we saw these Pepero boxes. On the front of the boxes were pictures of a popular Kpop group, EXO. It was cute (and on sale) so I decided to purchase a couple of boxes (99 cents for two boxes! Sign me up!). While I was in the car home happily munching on my Pepero, I glanced down at the box and was suddenly overcome with astonishment at how well the advertising for this product was. When you are selling something that a lot of other people are selling, you have to be different. You have to make yourself more valuable to the customer than your competitors. Here, the brand Pepero paid the group EXO to use their faces on their box. They became more valuable because oh my gosh my favourite Kpop idol is on the box! I have to buy this box of Pepero over that one because it has Kai on it!

This is kind of a way to get into the mind of their customer. Their target audience is a fan of EXO or a person who finds the members attractive. Usually, this is a teenage girl. Pepero is secretly, psychologically implying that you are buying the boy as well as the Pepero. In fact, I have seen people purchase the boxes, not because they want the Pepero inside, but because they want the exclusive box. This does not matter to the company Pepero, as long as they are making sales. Another subconscious pitch is that your idol loves you more if you purchase the product. One of the pictures has a boy holding a heart, which could subconsciously translate into 'I am buying his love for me' which I am sure some fans have thought about. Overall, it's a great marketing technique to sell you a product.

Comments

  1. I completely agree with everything said here!!! I have to admit I am too accountable for buying something due to what was shown on the packaging (the advertisement). It is so bad that we give in and do this, but it is such a smart way for them to advertise their product. Now that I think about it, I haven't realized that this is a way they advertise till I read your article. This is all so true great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, me too Priya. I mentioned something similar in my article as well. I mentioned how Seventeen did some ad for this clothing brand called Dynafit and because of this, since they are my favorite group, I wanted to buy something from them. I didn't though, their stuff is really expensive and I probably wouldn't wear it enough for something so expensive. So yeah, this method of advertising is really good as it targets fans where some like to collect things most likely resulting in high sales.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation

When Will My Reflection Show Who I Am Inside?

OMG He Uses Nivea Lip Balm!