Eating Unicorn Poop?

I'm sure we've all seen this commercial before, the advertisement for the squatty potty. For those of you who have not seen it, I'll give a brief description. It first starts out with a unicorn pooping swirls of rainbow ice cream, and a man in a prince outfit says something like this is where ice cream comes from, from the sphincter of a unicorn. He says that the unicorn is good at pooping, but you are not! He goes on to mention how toilets make a muscle in your body make it more difficult to relieve yourself, which can lead to a lot of problems, such as bloating and hemorrhoids. He says that when unicorns have hemorrhoids, it's especially bad because the glitter gets everywhere. Then, the product 'Squatty Potty' is introduced for the better way to use the bathroom. He says a bunch of outlandish things, still comparing ice cream to people defecating, "I scream, you scream, plop plop baby." Another thing he promises is the "Best poop of your life." Also, at the end of the commercial, he gives a bunch of ice cream cones to children and gives them toilet paper to wipe their mouths. And, the prince is speaking in a British accent.
This advertisement appeals to Physiological Needs and the Need to Satisfy Curiosity. First of all, everyone poops, even girls (shocking right? but don't worry, I am a female and I can verify that information). That satisfies the appeal for Physiological Needs. Secondly, what the heck even is the ad? They say so many outlandish things, for instance, ice cream is unicorn poop. They make the advertisement so outlandish that you are more inclined to watch the rest of it to try to make sense of everything. To try to see if everything connects. Obviously, in the time that you are confused, they slip in their product and try to sell it to you. This hits the Need to Satisfy Curiosity. It's a weird advertisement, but I do think it is effective. Even though it is outlandish, the point still gets across in a very convincing way. They also bring in children at the end, which is a small attempt to appeal to your Need to Nurture, but not super strongly. Overall, this is one extremely weird advertisement.

Comments

  1. I hadn't seen this commercial before. When I was reading your description of the commercial, at first I wondered how a commercial about eating unicorn poop would be an effective commercial. To me, the commercial is much more disgusting than persuasive. After reading your explanation, I agree that the commercial is very interesting and weird, which encourages people to keep watching. I think this commercial would be effective on people who are suffering from defecation problems. I don't think this commercial would work on people who are not suffering from defecation problems since these people will feel that there is no need to buy a "Squatty Potty." However, I also agree that this commercial definitely does get people's attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Representation

When Will My Reflection Show Who I Am Inside?

OMG He Uses Nivea Lip Balm!